Sunday, April 6, 2008

Polly's Conversion...

This is a real quickie, for those of us in a rush. I don't see the need to reinvent the wheel, so I'll simply direct you in the right direction...

I often find that when I'm cooking there appears to be no common thread amongst the hallowed annals of my cookery books regarding weights, measures and temperature settings. To say the least this is irritating, particularly as my memory isn't what it used to be and I've never been good at remembering those famous formulae allowing me to torture myself with mental arithmetic.

As a consequence of this, I took matters into my own hands a while ago and drew up a conversion chart for myself. Unfortunately my enthusiasm was greater than my attention to aesthetics and my choice of a cheap whiteboard was a mistake; plus I used permanent marker. In itself this shouldn't be a problem; I've often done this at work with great success. The problem arose from the fact that the whiteboard was essentially cheap and nasty, rather than the better quality ones I was used to. The result of this is that I cannot erase all and start again. The writing is indeed indelible and I am quite annoyed with myself for being so silly!

Now you might be tempted to ask; if you dare:

"Why on earth would anyone be stupid enough to use a permanent marker on a whiteboard? Everyone knows that you only use the dry erase type markers on whiteboards; don't they?"

The answer to that is most probably a resounding "No!" This is because it is possible, indeed quite necessary to use permanent ink on the better constructed whiteboards. The reason for doing this is because often there will be a mixture of information; of a permanent and temporary nature. Rather than have to write everything out each time the board is used, it is advised to use permanent ink (which can be removed by using solvent) for permanent information and a dry erase pen for the temporary stuff.

Anyway, enough of the boring stuff and back to my point. I tried to erase my scruffy handwriting using water, soap and water and finally a good quantity of Vodka! All of this was to no avail, as the information resisted all attempts to edit it. The quality of it remains good, it's just such a shame that it looks so unattractive...

For anyone who, like me, has trouble remembering was Gas Mark 3 is in Farenheit, or that 3 teasp = 1 tbsp I would thoroughly recommend following my example and putting up a permanent reminder in the kitchen. However, I would recommend that you follow my advice, rather than my example and visit the Culinary Travels of A Kitchen Goddess and print out a copy of her conversion chart; it looks so much prettier than mine!

I wouldn't mind you know, but I was going to do exactly that and laminate it for display, allowing me to use the infamous whiteboard in the boys room for displaying messages instead! They do say that in the home of the plumber the tap always leaks, don't they? Therefore you won't be surprised to hear that in the home of the hand-made cardmaker; presentation isn't always what it should be, will you...?

I'm off to do some proper work now, Jean's waiting for me to post her some cards that she won in the prize-draw I ran on my birthday. It would be rude to keep her waiting any longer, but I have been very busy; using my conversion chart and making cards for other clients.

All the Best!


Polly Peirce

ps For anyone looking at this post for a second time you will notice that I have added a photo of my horrid conversion chart.

I feel that it is important to point out that the nasty black blob in the middle of it is the shadow of the stained glass butterfly on the left, which hangs in the window.

I have rather badly disguised the dirty window pane behind it by adding an opaque coloured layer; using photoshop, my nearly new toy.

1 comment:

culinarytravelsofakitchengoddess said...

Why thank you Polly. That's very kind of you to say that.

George xx