Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Polly's Optimism Revealed

Looking back on the events which led to my last post here on Polly's Peri-wrinkle's & Piercing's; I must thank all of the lovely people who have been so supportive. Just writing the post helped me work out a lot of my anxieties; all of which were perfectly realistic; especially for li'l ole me...

It's funny how things work out. Having received so many supportive e-mails from my IBW friends; and phone calls from local friends, I decided that the Wedding Expo would either be a huge success or a huge failure and that I should go for it! The advertising has been fairly minimal; although the organiser did assure me that there would be double page spreads in all the locals this week and constant ads on local radio.

In a way this approach does make sense, as most people are so busy these days their time is limited and maybe she's right; hit them in the run-up to the show and they won't forget!!! Plus; of course the ads locally are a fraction of the big wedding journals...

So, yesterday while busy out in the studio I deserted my favourite accompaniment; ie the sound of birdsong and turned on Midlands Radio 103. Normally I prefer Lyric FM, a classical music station which covers all kinds of classical from early jazz to some of the more unusual indie folk music as well as the likes of Handle, Chopin et al. Yesterday; it was different though. Ordinarily I prefer little or no ads; so it was odd to find myself expressly listening for them!

Early this morning I received a text message from a friend; who also doubles as a Private Eye employed by VINCA Cards:

"Just heard advert on midland 103. Sounds v good but no talk of entrance charge..."

Phew! If I'm honest I was getting just a bit worried; especially when I heard an ad for a similar event at a hotel in Mullingar next month! Let's hope that this approach works.

Meanwhile I have list upon list; guest books, academic diaries, Irish wedding journals, reference books and every kind of album, card or piece of paper one could wish for! I made one hundred Artist's Trading Cards yesterday; in several different designs. These are basically like a business card with an example of my work on them for people to admire and desire; thus ensuring that not only do they remember me for my chocolate, but also for my outstanding work! That's the idea anyway...

My decision was to make the best of things, and this is exactly what I intend to do. I have borrowed candelabra, plants, atomisers and all manner of props. My cardboard boxes are all wrapped up in a combination of tissue paper and Designer's Guild gift wrap. I have pinched a number of picture frames in which to display examples of my work alongside photos of family wedding's through the generations.

I am prepared for any eventuality. BJK has been sent shopping for pillar candles and water, ooh and a receipt book - well you never know! My only regret is that she can't purchase another pair of hands, a second head and some more time; that said she's minding the boys on Saturday night and Sunday for me. Hopefully she will also prepare a lavish feast on both of the days.

My friends who are baulking at the rather expensive cost of entry, ie €15.00 per person are coming to relieve me for toilet breaks in exchange for a professionally finished name badge which will ensure free entry for them! Shhhh! Don't tell anyone, it's a Secret...

Okay, so it's time to get back to work. There's a lot to do, but it's working out just fine (finger's, toes & knee's crossed!)

Polly Pierce
Vinca Cards

ps. If you live in Ireland; please, please, please come and visit my stand at 'The Midlands Bride & Debs Exhibition' on Saturday 27 th & Sunday 28th from 12pm - 6pm Admission €15.00 per head; with the proceeds apparently donated to the local Oncology Unit.

No comments: