Monday, April 13, 2009

Early One Morning, Just As Polly Was Rising...


Early One Morning...

OMG, while writing up my last post I visited my photo files and took a brief look at some of the snaps taken in 2007. There's one file in particular which just so happens to be one of my favourites and that's the one taken in August of that year while camping out in The New Forest over in the UK.



The New Forest has been one of my favourite places since early 1984, which at this late date is a long time ago! Over the four or so years that I lived on its outskirts, in the city of Southampton I criss-crossed 'the forest', as it is known so many times. I used to ride through it, walk through it and even journeyed through it by train.

Stories of its history filled my imagination with images that are too hard to explain. Stories of its inhabitants, human and otherwise regailed my young ears resulting in a fascination which lasts to this day. Like the Yorkshire Moors, another national monument, this place breathes its presence deep into the soul of its inhabitants and leaves behind a fondness that can't be shaken off.

While planning our forthcoming annual Scout Camp for 2009, the New Forest is one of the many venues investigated. There are so many things to see and do while staying there and if it weren't for the difference in currency it would have been an ideal place for us to visit. As it stands, I think it's going to be a case of re-visiting Croagh Patrick and one of my other favourite places: Co Mayo...



In light of the recent changes in the economy, The New Forest is just the place for anyone considering staying nearer to home this year. With plentiful campsites, b&b's, hotels, etc and a huge variety of places to visit/things to do I would recommend it to anyone. Check out the website and find out about the hunting ground of royalty for yourself. It's well worth a visit, and don't forget to take your camera/binoculars with you...

Now that I've done a wee bit of surfing for the day, I can go about my daily business with a clear heart! I feel so much better now, assisted by a cup of tea and an easter egg!

5 comments:

Lorna said...

New Forest is fabulous. We lived in Salisbury for almost ten years and many a Sunday afternoon was spent walking around Eyeworth Pond or having lunch at the Lamb Inn. Many happy memories indeed :-)

Polly Pierce said...

Huge Oak trees, brackens & ferns, fairy rings & toadstools, fallow deer & ponies, donkey's & their foals, the list is endless! It's just one of those magical places bursting with history, fun & games.

niamh said...

Lovely photos, never visited that part of the UK.

Didn't know you were involved with the scouts.... I was a long time ago, way back in the 80's. I took part on the Irish Explorer Belt to Sweden in 84. It was a great experience, pity I havn't got any photos though as we were travelling light!

Polly Pierce said...

Scouting is great fun and very rewarding. Last year we travelled to Zelhoff Scout Centre in Austria and had a great time.

Maybe one day we'll follow in your footsteps Niamh, we are still a young troup (3yrs), so we have much to learn along the way!

Luxury Cottages Yorkshire said...

If you have more information related to this topic Caravan North Yorkshire and Caravan Yorkshire Coast so provide it because i read your data it is helpful for us to improve our knowledge.