Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Polly's Pro-Markers!

I'm ba-aaaaaaaack...

Sorry to have been missing for what seems like an age, I just got myself inveigled into all manner of things that turned out to be somewhat time consuming. This of course left little or no time for crafting or blogging! Aye, little or no time...

I have just about managed to make a handful of cards for friends and being uber-organised (or rather not) forgot to either scan or photograph them for posterity. One day I even went as far as to take out the camera and turn it on, only to be informed in a somewhat superior tone that there was no memory card in the damned thing! Oh well.

Actually I'm really quite annoyed with myself over the whole issue of taking pics. There's no point in making beautiful cards for people if I don't show them off, is there? This time I was experimenting with new techniques and everything. There's always tomorrow (pref before midnight though!)

As well as inking up embossing folders with a brayer, resulting in a delicious embossed and coloured background effect I've recently been experimenting with alcohol based markers. I started off with water-colour markers but have more or less deserted them in favour of Pro-markers. Each has its disadvantages and its advantages, but I'm afraid the pro-markers win hands down...

The reason for this is simply due to the ability to shade the colours, which is something you really can't do with the watercolours. Unfortunately, this is really only possible to do if using the watercolours like water colour paints, ie rubbing the colour onto a palette and then diluting with different quanities of water to achieve the right shade. This is laborious and the results are variable, plus shading by layering the colour is guaranteed to destroy the surface of the card and result in pilling.

The result of having discovered that this doesn't happen with alcohol markers, which means that you can colour and shade with less hassle is that my already diminuishing craft budget is disappearing quickly. Made by Letraset, Pro-markers are also expensive; working out at around €3.25 each. Luckily, I've been able to use reward schemes from places like The Art & Hobby Shop to subsidise my newest habit...

Imagine my delight then when I discovered an example of blog candy right here on Blogger!? So, one link led to another and here I am writing about my favourite new toys. The real irony of this is that I was actually visiting Polly Pierce, yes another blogger whose on-line identity is the same as mine. So Paula, aka Polly Pierce sent me over to The Card Kabin whose Passion for Pro-Markers led me directly to The Crafty Cuttings of Wiccababe!

Just check this out, it's a fab prize to celebrate her 20,000 hits. Not content with this, she also has secured fantastic runners up prizes to give away: all consisting of humungeous amounts of the terribly expensive Pro-markers! I like to hide mine away from the children, firmly believing that they can get their own cheap nasty markers and leave mine well alone!

So, I guess by now you realise that I want this prize. Failing that a gift voucher for a store that sells Pro-markers would be good...(';')(nudge, nudge, wink, wink...)

No comments: