Saturday, May 1, 2010

BLT suffers Polly-blockages...

Isn't life great? When you have your first child life seems just perfect, if only for a split second! Sadly the reality of things begins to dawn upon you when that same beloved soul begins to climb and to exert their personality upon you in ways you can only imagine.

I remember well the discussion which took place regarding fragile keepsakes and mementos. Apparently my baby was going to be a good baby and we wouldn't need to put these precious items away for posterity, because of this single fact. How little did we know? Blinded by the rapturous love of a tiny bundle, how on earth could anyone be so insensitive as to suggest anything but optimism for this child?

Many years later much of our fragile stash has been damaged or indeed totally destroyed by one or other of our two innocents. There have been times when the devil himself chose to try my patience in the form of the destructive naivety known fondly as my sons. Even today I hold grudges for precious items that are no more, childish and silly I know, but somehow appropriate!

This morning, having blown my own personal computer up a week or so ago I embarked upon a journey of discovery involving the newly acquired BLT 'puter. In a moment of inspiration an unloved and unwanted pc was procured, in exchange for the somewhat excellent babysitting services of my eldest son, thus allowing the other mother the opportunity to venture out into the world of the public house and a pint of guinness! The result was mighty - we've had nothing but trouble since and I almost wish I'd never opened my rather large mouth...

Yes we had a great night out and it was lovely to see Ms C in the social arena. Despite this, I've often asked myself if it was worth it? There have been more rows and incidents of one upmanship than at any time before the introduction of said pc into the household. "Get off, it's mine!" appears to have become the family war cry, and frankly I can do without it!

To add insult to injury I downloaded my Norton 360 internet security programme onto the damned thing and followed this up by adding the family protection package. In all honesty I have to say that I'm impressed. Of course had I thought to activate it before hand much of the trouble would have been over and done with long ago.

I had to hack the admin account on the new pc to do this (parental privilege when the child is under a certain age) and so the whole world went mad. Several weeks on things have settled down and life is back to normal. The temper tantrums have more or less stopped (regarding ownership of the damned pc) and so one was lulled into a false sense of security...

One day earlier this week, I allowed myself to be distracted while picking up mail, surfing and prepping a power-point presentation. The result is that somehow BLT got onto my account, altered the administrative access details and locked me well and truly out of the pc. Indignant? You bet!

Never let it be said that the child has got the better of the adult. Luckily I was able to hack into someone elses account on the same pc this morning and access my Norton account. I can do this on any pc or laptop and adjust the settings on the computer in question, unfortunately for BLT he'd not thought to do anything with the account settings and so he's now well and truly locked out in the cold! He's got zero hours available for use during the week and zero hours during the weekend too! Ahhh, poor thing...

I just can't wait to see his face when he discovers how his poor old Mum's got her own back - the damned thing's gonna turn itself off after 60seconds... I think I've just bought myself some bargaining power. Now all we've to do is wait and see!

No comments: