Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Polly's Giving It Some Welly...

Despite my very best intentions, one of my weaker strengths is time-management. You may have noticed this in the absence of posts lately. There just don't seem to be enough hours in any day to allow me to sit down and write; for myself or other folk! It's frustrating to say the least and when the time's available there are all manner of things to call out for my attention, including the aches and pains of daily living.

Sometimes I simply don't feel like blogging. Sometimes I'm genuinely too busy to post. Other times I'm shattered, emotionally, mentally and physically. Back in October I fell out of bed and ended up on a couple of weeks bed rest, pain relief and anti-inflammatory drugs, alongside my usual medications...

You'd imagine this would afford plenty of time for posting here on Polly's Peri-wrinkles & Piercings. Only you've imagined wrong, I spent a large proportion of that time sorting out administration work for the scouts. I also had to re-arrange a cub camp that I was meant to be attending. It meant that we'd to draught in the people who normally are only available for week night activities and a scouter from another local group. Thanks guys!

One thing I find about the act of blogging is that it's amazingly therapeutic when the chips are down and I'm feeling as though the last one to fall may be the one that results in a nervous breakdown. Unfortunately what also happens when I'm upset is that I tend to freeze, becoming increasingly rigid to the point of hurting myself due to the build up of lactic acid in the muscles. It's not great when you're already wound up to realize that the very next day will bring muscle pain galore.

In this instance the stress was entirely physical, ie due to the fall which resulted in my landing in a twisted position on my left side. Boy, that was something else! Still, as the saying goes all's well that ends well.  At least until the next time, that is!

Sadly the next time arrived rather sooner than later. When my blood is boiling the very last thing I need is other people being indignant, whether on my own behalf or theirs! The mere fact that voices tend to rise by at least an octave, speech is quicker and the tone changes is like the proverbial red rag to a bull, requiring a super-human effort on my part to not react to this particular stimulus. I'm getting better at it, not reacting that is!

Currently I'm feeling ever so slightly deflated. I haven't allowed myself to react to the latest control drama. As I ignore the attacks & deliberate effort to upset me the onslaught seems to be increasing. Instead I've explained the effect of other people reacting to this on me and asked that they try and remain steady in tone, pattern and words. I don't want to be reacting to my allies dismay after all, do I? I've resisted pressing a certain button too. I will neither hide nor delete the catalyst to the attack response.

Instead I shall bide my time and try to behave like a lady, leaving behind the childish ways we all relied upon many decades ago. As I said previously time management may not be my strongest suit, but flexibility is. It has to be, we are dealing with children after all...

I dare say that it could be said I've got it off my chest in a more constructive way than I might've done. I've also blogged and yes, I'm sorry that it's been all about me, but that's just hard-cheese guys! This is my personal blog which doesn't purport to represent anyone's views or experiences other than my own. Unfortunately my phone, while it's also my own isn't as lucky as my blogger account! It rings and messages are delivered all too frequently.

Oddly enough people seem to appear to want my undivided attention at all hours, not realizing that I frequently leave my phone outside in the car by accident/design! People who are rude to me on my phone don't always merit the immediate answer they feel they deserve and what's more they don't like the fact that I won't always return their call/text message immediately - if at all. My advice? If it's important; try again! Be nice. Leave your disagreements at the door. And remember, be respectful...

No comments: