Thursday, May 22, 2008

Polly Exposed

The following poem is an adaptation of a famous poem which was originally written by Friedrich Gustave Martin Niemoller (1892-1984); he was both a protestant pastor and a social activist.


First they came for the Christians
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Christian.

Then they came for the Wiccans
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Wiccan.

Then they came for the Shamans
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Shaman.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

His poem is well-known, frequently quoted, and is a popular model for describing the dangers of political apathy, as it often begins with specific and targeted fear and hatred which soon escalates out of control.

My friend Melvyn Lloyd of the Hibernian Order of Druids adapted this famous poem to reflect his religious beliefs. The thing is that this man is not alone; there are many who share his or similar beliefs.

As a human being he recognizes what is going on in the world today for what it is. Ethnic cleansing is still being practised today; as it was over fifty years ago during the Third Reich. As I sit at my PC composing this post; racial hatred is being encouraged in the Italian state; fascism echoing through their government buildings as Berlusconni quashes media coverage.

Nearly seventy years ago another world leader; Adolph Hitler launched an attack upon the minority peoples of Europe which lead to genocide of the Jewish people, the Roma gypsies, Freemason's, Jehovah's witnesses, gay men, political activist's, the Slav's, ethnic Pole's and others. This was to become known as The Holocaust.

For further information on what is happening in Europe today please visit Vinca's A Tinka! Where you will find up to date information from Amnesty International, MEP's, internet searches, etc. There is also a petition allowing you to register your protest at the Human Right's Attrocities currently being visited upon the Roma people of Italy.

No comments: