Thursday, April 16, 2009

Parsimonious? Me?

Warning:
The contents of this post may seriously damage your HEALTH!


Extravagence is the opposite of Parsimony. It's not something that I indulge in often, but when I do, I know just how to do it and yesterday was no exception. Having saved well over €50.00 by waiting since November to purchase the blue & black rouched satin clutch bag in Coast I was able to splash out and compensate myself for the inconvenience of having to venture out in such horrid weather...

The Chocolateria, which is brought to us by Dunne & Crescenzi is relatively new at Kildare Village. The name kind of speaks for itself, it stocks sumptuous chocolates and coffees for your delectation. Sadly I was informed that it is due to close in a couple of weeks time, having been only a temporary shop. I took this information in my stride and sympathised with the young lady behind the counter, while I eagerly awaited my 'Death By Chocolate' .

I was excited, after all it had described as the ultimate luxury in Italian hot-chocolate, best taken with a spoon. I mean, there's so much sweet, runny stuff around these days - most of which have only waved at the chocolate on its way past. If the description of this stuff was acurate, I was in for a treat!

Apparently, Chocolate is GOOD for you! It's official, so says the framed list of points offering to prove this. One such good point is that not only does it make you happy, it helps to prevent tooth decay and helps to cure a cold; according to Dunne & Crescenzi! Having glanced quickly at the list while I waited I sat down to savour the concoction of dark, sticky brown liquid while I studied it in more detail. The list or the chocolate? Both!

"Mmmmm!" There really is little more that I can say; "mmmmmmmmh. Mmmmmmmmmh!" Yes, I died and went to heaven right there on the spot. In fact, it was so good that I went back later and did it all over again, only this time it was even better.

I don't know what their secret is, but I do know that the young lady decanted a thick chocolatey brown liquid from a dispenser on the counter. After that she took it off and added some more chocolate and whisked it furiously. And again, and again. The resultant mixture, ie Death By Chocolate is aptly named as it truly is the most sumptuous hot chocolate I have ever drunk.

The consistency was both thick and smooth, although it also had enough texture to be satisfying. Its aroma was one of pure chocolate and the flavour was bitter enough to reveal the true character of the chocolate used in its making, while sweet enough to compliment it perfectly. Although there were undertones of vanilla, these were not excessive. Perhaps the real difference is that this drink was not drowned in litres upon litres of milk...

I could, but I won't wax lyrical all day AND all night, but I won't. My advice to any true chocolate addict is get to the Chocolateria before it closes. If that fails, then you will never have experienced Heaven on Earth and most certainly won't have endured Death By Chocolate! I am going to have to find a recipe for this delight of delights, and when I do I will share it with you - for a small charge!!!! LOL!

No comments: