Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Ringling Beats Animals? Really!

For years I've had a bee in my bonnet about circuses. I love the circus, don't get me wrong, but I don't like to see animals in the circus. Let's face it lions and elephants belong in the wild, not in trailers parked in freezing cold winter conditions of the Northern Hemisphere.

Not very long I spotted a line of penguins all ready to jump into a stand swimming pool opposite our local Tesco's and Aldi stores. While it was cute and it certainly caught my eye, it's just not natural...

Anyway, the reason I'm posting my thoughts on the circus is because of a compelling video posted on Facebook by one of my cyber friends. If ever I had any doubts about animal circuses this video and the site it's displayed on have answered them:


I used to feel so mean when I deprived my children of the opportunity to marvel at the hilarious antics of the trained animals when the circus came to town. All the other kids were going, so why couldn't mine? Twice we did go to the circus. Twice we loved it. Twice we'd go again! Why? What made these circuses okay in my book of moral standards?

They were proper circuses staffed by family tradition and acrobatics, jokes and clowns, jugglers and trapeze artists, people whose families have passed down the tricks of the trade from one generation to the next. From the very young to the very old, the somewhat glamorous to the faded looks of the older members, the very slim and lithe to the heavily pregnant wife of the main performer. Each and every one of the folk appearing in the shows were doing so willingly.

They were not subjected to hours of torture in order to learn the tricks that the public wish to see. Perhaps the hours of practice required were torturous; but they, the humans chose this route and turned it into an art form all of its own. Just watch the video and have a read through the website and then maybe you too will start to think the way I do along with millions of others...

No comments: