Thursday, April 6, 2017

Oh My, Corey Taylor's Wonderful Tonight!


I was searching for evidence of a raging debate on Facebook relating to the impending Charities Act & Governance Legislation as it relates to one of the voluntary groups I'm involved in. The discussion was interesting and firy to say the least, offering just a little taster of what will evolve at our national conference on Saturday.

Shall we say that irrespective of Brexit, Mr Trump and a host of other newsworthy entities & events we live in interesting times. I'll be holding my breath at any rate, probably as I climb onto the stage to address 900 delegates and say my piece...

As per usual while doing anything serious that involves the use of social media I noticed a link that a friend of my lovely son had posted. And so this morning I went surfing on Youtube because I was impressed with what I saw. It led me to this, which quite literally moved me to tears... (Apologies for the language to those I know it's going to offend, but you know what? Sorry!)

 

This is just one part of me that you mightn't be aware of and that's my love of music. My taste is so madly diverse it varies from medieval recorder music to Gregorian Chant to Gilbert & Sullivan. The guy in the video above is Corey Taylor who just happens to be a master of the death metal scream & lead singer with Slipknot...

It's hard to believe that this is the same person performing as I think you'll agree that these two videos couldn't possibly be more different if they tried. Be warned, this is some of their more melodic, lighter stuff. Please don't play the video below if you hate heavy metal cos you won't like it, I promise:


During my lifetime I've been to concerts of all kinds and have even seen the Russian State Ballet performing Swan Lake to Tchaikovsky’s score. Magnificent! Not only was the music incredible, I came away with an appreciation of an art form I had always been dismissive of. I find it somewhat bizarre that I somehow reached that opinion even though my mum used to play the piano for a dance class when I was a little girl. I can just about manage steps 1, 2 & 3 but after that my aging knees just aren't bendy enough in the right direction any more...

So, the reason for my sharing this? It's the fact that this rendition of a one of my favourite songs actually moved me to tears and that has never happened before. Okay, so technically that's a lie because poor Jack Black & his mate Kyle bored me to tears when I went to see their ego-band Tenacious D. Honestly, they were the worst band of all time as far as I'm concerned and I'm thankful that the accoustics at the 3 arena were OFF that night.They were so bad they just don't merit anything more than a link...

Actually Lamb of God were pretty off in the Olympia too but I think they were just unlucky that night and my son maintains that their support act sabbotaged their sound. He could be right on that one because as dreadful as they were that night I paid to go and see them...


The sound isn't off in this video but again if you're not into that kind of stuff, please don't click & play because you'll probably like it less than the Slipknot one! Thank goodness I was in the circle that night, I'm too old for the stalls because poor sound doesn't affect the action in the mosh-pit.


 Definition:
Moshing or slamdancing is a style of dance in which participants push or slam into each other, typically performed to "aggressive" live music.

So, now you know a little bit more about Polly Pierce. I am still a boring middle aged house-wife & retired theatre nurse. I'm still the same person and this is just another of those complicated layers that make up the whole. So what next? Well, I've a pot of dog violets (aren't they beautiful?) out in the garden just waiting to be transplanted next to their cousins in the garden and for a change it's not raining...



Ah sure, I can dream, can't I? Maybe when I 've finished with the whole Facebook debate & various other things in preparation for the conference of Saturday I might get around to it. Sunday afternoon's looking good once I've had my Murphy's Gin Ice-cream/Raspberry Sorbet/Chocolate Ice-cream on the way home. I wonder what the weather forcast's like?

No comments: