Saturday, October 6, 2007

Good News; Tullamore Woman Wins Another Secret Prize

Hello Again & Welcome!

Well once again due to household commitments I intend to keep today's blog short and sweet.Yeah, right! Who am I trying to kid?

Sometimes it can be very easy to let incidentals get you down, can't it?Last Saturday; while waiting in my car, at the graveyard not too far away, I discovered that I hadn't anything help me pass the time. I wasn't in the mood for playing Nature Park on my cell phone; I seem to have grown out of that particular addiction.


True to form my friends were running late; so I had plenty of time to pass. Lo & behold; I spotted a copy of the Gideon Bible - New Testament: Psalms & Proverbs; which had been given to BB, my eldest son by his form teacher.


I took a moment or two to reminisce about how when I was a young teenager my form teacher had given me a Gideon Bible. Way back then I was unimpressed, and wondered why on earth I had been given it.


Over the years I have picked up the various copies ranging from the King James version to the Good News, I even have a copy of the Koran, but I have never really been able to get into it; to study it. From time to time my attention has been drawn to different passages and with age I have started to understand their meanings.


Recently I bought my youngest child LB a first Bible stories book; to help him prepare for his First Holy Communion. Together we read through the bible stories at bed time; their messages being different for us both.


On occasions I am visited by members of our local Jehovah's Witness Congregation. Thomas has often pulled out his bible on the doorstep; to help me understand the events which take place in our daily lives. I don't turn them from the door; intrinsically I am interested in hearing what HE has to say.


More often than not, other Witness friends will drop by for a cup of tea; before they head off home to the village. In my home they are friends; rather than missionaries; they know that I will not be joining their brethren. I enjoy their chat and old fashioned ways, and usually, welcome them with open arms. They are normal people; with the type of old fashioned values I appreciate.


Sometimes I don't feel quite so hospitable, maybe because I am tired or the house is in a state, conversely; on other occasions I will be more hospitable, for exactly the same reasons. It can be such a pleasure to sit and chat with them.


Sometime ago they gave me a gift of my very own Bible; from time to time I do read passages, both with and without their guidance. The Watch Tower & Awake; their bi-monthly publication is a marvellous guide to reading the bible.


Far from feeling silly last Saturday I picked up the condensed copy of the Bible and began to flick through its pages; noticing the tell tale quality of its pages. It wasn't long before I found something of interest to me.


Right at the very front of it is a section intended to help the user find help appropriate to every occasion in our lives. Right there before me lay the references for those feeling anxiety Matthew 6:19-34.


Another publication which I am reading at the moment is "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne. To tell the truth; I am actually bored with it and haven't picked it up since I reached the middle a couple of weeks ago.


"The Secret" is about the powerful Law of Attraction. You can call it prayer, wishful thinking, divine intervention, positive thinking, whatever; it preaches that the Universe will always send the things to you which you are thinking about the most.


"The Secret" doesn't contain any great secrets, rather it gathers together people who already know what the secret is. It consolidates what we already know; if only we would take the time to read the Good Book and take it as Gospel...


I do think it's a shame that throughout the western world the Bible seems to have been usurped by science and charlatans, though one might argue that if the same message is being professed, what is the harm?


According to "The Secret"; when I am focusing on how untidy the house is and how I do not want to receive visitors today, the Universe will answer my thoughts by sending the very thing that I want least. The Universe does not recognise positives and negatives and so it will merely answer our prayers by sending us the focus of those prayers!


Anyway, to get back to the title of my blog; 'Tullamore Woman Wins Another Prize' you might be wondering what any of the above has to do with it. In short quite a lot!

I have actually won a prize of a Tricia Goyer book entitled "My Life Un-Scripted". I found the competition while doing some research for yesterdays blogs and immediately read on and then signed up for it. And I WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (just check out the comments section!!!! TEE-HEE-HEE!!!!)


The deadline for entries was yesterday evening, but being on a Michigan blog I had time on my side. I read the first chapter of this book on line and immediately felt better about my own life, which only goes to show that it was meant to be.


Karen who hosts the Surviving Motherhood blog is a Christian mum who found God sometime after her crazy teen years; when she found this book she wished, like me, that she had had a better script for her life. I was so enthusiastic about entering the competition that I entered a comment on Tricia Goyer's site as well as on Karen's.


The book in question is intended to make growing up that little bit easier for teenage girls, although with a teen boy myself I think it could also be invaluable for boys too. You know a teen boy is just as vulnerable as a teen girl, they just don't always show it.


So from waiting for my friends to arrive, reading the Gideon Bible, the Jehovah's Witnesses, Watch Tower, The Secret, Rhonda Byrne, Karen from Surviving Motherhood, Tricia Goyer & My Life Un-Scripted we finally get to the point where Polly can say that life is just the way it is meant to be!

Maybe I had better go make a pot of tea...
I have to ask myself then; if this were true why do my friends not haunt this place, in search of tea and a chat!?


Take Care! God Bless!



Px Polly Peirce
ps By the way; did you know that "the road to hell is paved with good intentions!"?









No comments: