Friday, March 28, 2008

Polly's Ranking Full Stop...

Whoo, whoo! I've got a Google Page ranking at last! Hee! Hee! Hee! This is very exciting news! It is a measure of how well my blog is doing in terms of popularity and clarity, which are two of the indicators used by Google's automated spybots. Gosh, doesn't that sound complicated?

For those of you who do know about page ranking's etc, you'll know that I still haven't got much of a clue; but I have succeeded in getting myself verified as the owner of the blog and information about it analysed. What to do with all of this now;) I can't honestly say!

I do know, however, that for those of us who wish to venture into the world of pay-per-post; a page ranking comes in handy. It means they get better products to review. They probably get more of them too! So, for anyone in that position; and you'll know who I mean, get yourself signed up for Google Analytics and attatch a verification file or metatag to your blog.

I realise this all sounds horribly complicated; and for plebs like me it is, but don't be afraid to give it a go and remember to back-up your template before you press the dreaded submit button. I did this a while back; improperly, of course and couldn't get on with it as a result.

For some unknown reason I decided to give it a second chance today and discovered the error of my ways; including the rather dense copying and pasting of my own url instead of the metatag as instructed. I eventually got it right and immediately revealed a page ranking. Admittedly, it isn't that high at the moment; but there is hope and this is tangible evidence of it. Derr; my brain hurts...

Now then, I also registered Vinca's-In-Tha-Kitchen! Having had some small success; I waited with baited breath to see what happened. The registration was easy peasy;, the verification took a matter of seconds and oh dear! I don't appear to have anything even approaching a page ranking! That'll teach me to be cocky; won't it...?

As I've already said, it takes a lot of hard work and determination to get any new venture off the ground. Planning is also a good idea; it would be a terrible shame if all that hard work never got off the ground, wouldn't it? I also have it on very good authority that Content is King.

So, what exactly does that phrase mean? Aside from having something interesting to post about, that is? Well, it does help if your topic is interesting to readers other than yourself; if you want to keep a purely subjective journal, it is probably best kept as a private weblog.

Another thing is that people like to see a bit of character, rather than a sterile sounding official monologue reporting on the same thing everyone is reporting on. This is where niche's come in; there will often be people out there who connect with your likes and dislikes, while reading up on something mundane and boring.

In my case it's greeting cards that got me blogging originally. However, I tend to wander all over the place and occasionally remember the whole purpose of blogging in the first place. Some people like to blog exclusively about a specific subject; perhaps giving instructions on how to complete a project, giving away the merest glimpse of their lives, but still remaining personable and real.

Whatever your reason for either reading this post, or blogging yourself, don't forget that good presentation and correct spellings/punctuation go a long way toward achieving your goal; which is to acquire a readership and be read!

You know what? I feel so much better after getting that lot off my chest! LOL

Polly Peirce

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go!

Polly Pierce said...

To be honest I'm inclined to think that it is nothing short of a miracle! But, I ain't complainin'...

Anonymous said...

Now, now, what did you write about good grammar and spelling??? Don't let it go now!
But, I ain't complainin'... - red pen time!