Friday, October 31, 2008

Polly Rescued By Wizard

Just before I wrote yesterday's post I took it into my head that I'd change the password for my account on the computer; not a bad thing to do considering that it was due to be changed in a couple of days anyway. The problem is that at the time I was distracted; ie kids running around the house, dogs barking, etc and I forgot to make a note of it or set up a password hint. Duh!

I'm sure you can guess what this is leading up to, can't you? A little over an hour later I'd forgotten my new password and found myself locked out of the computer. No problem, just head on over to account administration and change the password from there... Not such a clever idea; considering that my account is the administrative account for the computer and without the password I couldn't change a thing!

Not to worry; I still had the back up disc that I'd created some time ago, now where did I put it? Thank heavens for my virtual BNI membership - I'm still waiting for confirmation; but was told yesterday morning that it was pretty much a dead cert; assuming that a childhood friend who is also a member has no objections to my joining that is. The problem is that she is the owner of a large printing company who also manufacture wedding stationary; this being the case she would be perfectly within her rights to object as there is only one seat per occupational interest.

Hopefully the fact that my wedding stationary is all hand-made will be the clincher; as there is a world of difference between the two we should be able to refer business to one another. Based on the fact that not everyone I contact will want to run with my style of Wedding Invitations etc; I should be able to recommend my friend and vice versa...

Anyway, I digress; considering that it was my computer password or rather lack of one which led me to start this post. As I said, "Thank God, for my BNI virtual membership!" This of course is because I now know a guy who is a such a whizz with computers that he can crack any code and get me back online again! Thankfully; Daniel Dunne is a nice guy and agreed to do this for me free of charge and he's also going to install another couple of Gigabytes which should help with the fact that things have been a bit slow around here recently!

So, just in case you happen to be local and need a good computer guy; I am happy to recommend MTC Solutions, Smart IT Support who are based just up the road at 7 Francis St, Edenderry, Co Offaly. Not only does Danny deal in Computer technology he also has a thriving mobile phone store offering great service at reasonable prices. As I have already said my problem was sorted out within minutes of entering his workroom; most of which were taken up locating the software to bail me out!

When I made my first SOS call the young man who answered the phone went to the trouble of contacting Danny on site as his mobile phone was switched off, leaving damsels in distress even more distressed. In less than an hour after my initial call the man himself was reassuring me that forgetting ones password is quite a common occurrence which even he had fallen prey to!

Needless to say, I am delighted that this embarrassing and inconvenient blunder was dealt with in a friendly and expedient manner. Not only am I back on line; I am now in the process of reclaiming my office/work area/ corner of the master bedroom from layers of dust, scraps of paper and filing that has been neglected.

Eat your heart out Fly Lady; MTC Solutions got me going today and what's more; I found my Control Journal with all those inspiring messages and reminders on how to get up and going when everything around me lies at my feet in piles of steaming recycling and filing!

Who'd have thought such a little thing could amount to so much hard work...

Happy Hallowe'en Folks!

Polly Peirce
Vinca Cards Handmade Wedding Stationary & Greeting Cards

No comments: