Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Polly's Arctic Bunny Suit

OOooh! There's so much to do and so little time to do it in. Last week in the run up to the half-term break I had visions of spending long hours in the house with the two boys finally rescuing it from the quagmire of accoutrement's built up over the years. Like all good magpie's we live in the middle of a pile of clutter which we simply cannot bear to part with; perhaps this is the reason for the various members of the crow family building their nests within spitting distance of the house...

What I wouldn't give for a visit from Aggie and Kim to de-clutter and deep clean all those hidden corner's for me! Meanwhile the fantasy continues in the form of a written contract binding my eldest dear son to my side for the whole of this week; in performing his various neglected chores - without protestation - our nest will soon be ready for decorating. Once this is done we'll be out of the CHAOS phase of our lives and he'll be able to invite his friends over. Hardy, ha, ha - LOL!

CHAOS is an acronym coined by Marla Cilley - otherwise known as Fly Lady. It represents that horror of horror that all teenager's are so prone to; which is the double standard of can't be bothered + won't be bothered but want my friends over too = Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome!

The news so far is poor. BB has finally completed the extra-delightful task of providing his pet ferret with a clean and warm environment for the winter; lucky thing! He was also persuaded to bring in fuel for the in the stove; LB was coerced into taking the ashes out and the result was that the fire was lit hours later than intended - at nearly 7.30pm!

Meanwhile, Mum; the intrepid Scouter was lounging on the sofa in the sitting room complaining of stomach cramps and abdominal tenderness. The kids have diagnosed appendicitis; personally I think it probably has more to do with the copious amounts of draught Guinness consumed at Ms T's hen party & Mr T's stag party on Saturday night.

That wouldn't have presented too much of a problem; except for the fact that by 1pm Sunday; I was on my way to Charleville Estate for a winter camp with the Scouts! Yes folks, it was -2C on Sunday night and we'd no running water or toilet facilities; let alone central heating or electric blankets to keep us warm...

It was about 1am when eventually my tired body decided to call it a night. My feet were warmish; so I was alright for the night! Mr B; in the adjacent tent was much the same as myself - only he took his socks off! I replaced mine with wool, angora and Lycra thermals purchased in Lidl on Thursday. In fact my whole body was swathed in fluffy bunny; I was lovely and warm - that is until I started to fall asleep...

By 4am I could tell that Ms M was awake; the rubbing noises coming from her double layered sleeping bags were a dead give-away. That was my opportunity to rustle my way quietly into the huge over sized bin liner called a survival bag; while she tip-toed out into the cold, cold field in her bare feet.

Happily my rustling had relieved one bladder and brought warmth to another pair of feet in the next tent; yes I'd also woken Mr B! As the two of them rustled their way into their respective space blankets I snacked as quietly as possible on a chocolate digestive biscuit to quell my rumbling tummy. Soon I luxuriated in a rosy glowing sensation; then sleep finally took over...

Would I do it again? The answer has to be a definite "Yes!" The kids had a great time; and yes they too were cold; although they got to snuggle into one another like kittens in a basket! It was an experience and it was fun. We'll all be better prepared for the conditions next time; ie I've already put a new four seasons sleeping bag on my list for Christmas - my existing one is as old as the hills and needs to be retired!

Next time we'll all remember to bring the magic ingredients for our supper and an extra layer of clothing for warmth; but hey we survived this camp and we'll be recovered from it by the time the kids go back to school!

Like I said, so much to do and so little time to do it! One thing I have noticed though; is that I am much tidier at home in the immediate aftermath of a camp; so much so that I was able to work at the kitchen table yesterday afternoon. Things are looking up; and even though yesterday was definitely a day for pj's and sweats, I got so much more done - just because I'd tidied the kitchen upon my return from our Arctic exploration...

I somehow doubt that my fantasy of being able to redecorate the house at the end of the half-term break will be realised. The week is already half gone; the rest of it filled with social engagements galore including breakfast BNI meetings; overnight ghost hunting at Charleville Castle on Halloween followed by a 50th birthday party...

At least the kitchen is tidier and my 'Appendicitis' symptoms should by well on the way to recovery by then; just in time for the next round!Meanwhile; we continue to live in a state of organised CHAOS. I continue to build my empire from the kitchen table and fantasize about paying someone to come in and do the rest for me!

Anyway, that's a quick overview of the past week from your favourite card making Scouter! I've got to go and ring Martin and confirm my participation in Friday's adventure now; wish us luck...

Polly Pierce

Hand-Made Greeting Cards & Wedding Stationary

No comments: